Hi there, this is my first attempt at blogging and am going to try to help you learn Ruby on Rails(RoR) by creating a small blogging engine.
With saying much, lets get started. First off you will need to set up your machine for rails development, its pretty easy;
- For windows folks all you need is download and install the rail installer (i suggest you download the ruby1.9 version). Mac OS folks can download the mac version.
- For linux (and mac users who prefer not to use rails installer) the process is quite different;
- Install curl “sudo apt-get install curl”
- Install rvm using
\curl -#L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable
and run the command
to load rvm in your current terminal window or close your terminal and open it again.
- Run the following command to install rvm’s dependencies
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install build-essential openssl libreadline6 libreadline6-dev curl git-core zlib1g zlib1g-dev libssl-dev libyaml-dev libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 libxml2-dev libxslt-dev autoconf libc6-dev libgdbm-dev ncurses-dev automake libtool bison subversion pkg-config libffi-dev
- use rvm to install ruby with the “rvm install 1.9.3” command. After executing this command, type “rvm use 1.9.3 –default” to set ruby 1.9.3 as the default version.
- gem install rails
Finally install sublime text for writing your code.
Pheeeew, its been quite a tough ride, but by your machine should be ready. See you in part 2 of this tutorial.